The Facebook

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Underworld Awakening

So finally Selene (Beckinsale) is back. After 6 years without our favorite patent leather clad neck sucker, she is finally back. Truth be told, I had no idea what this installment was even about when I bought my ticket. I didn't really care. Underworld is a Vampire/Lycan institution in film. They may not be the best rated films in the genre, but they are definitely the most enjoyable. This is technically the 4th in the franchise, but only the 3rd with Selene, and I was curious where the story would go. What we get with Awakening is a fresh new story with nearly all new players. The first two films followed the blood feud between the Vampires and Lycans, but this film involves human 100%. Humans discovered the undead and werewolves and decided to wipe them from existence. When Selene is captured and held for some time in cryo, she is freed with no idea of what hew world had become. 
What she awakens to is horrifying. She must now figure out her next play and from here the film is very predictable. Just because I say that doesn't really mean I expected a "think piece" with this film. I got exactly what I expected and for fans of this franchise, you will enjoy it. With that said I must continue to harp on 3D. NO, I didn't watch it in "Crap Dimension", but what still drives me nuts are those scenes obviously shot for the 3D experience that have no bearing on the film, and honestly it seems like a waste of time to put those scenes in our 2D faces. Floating embers seems to be 3D's #1 ally. If I wanted to see realistic floating embers, I would build a fire and stir it up vigorously. The very cool aspect behind Awakening are the downward spiral of the Lycan race. We get see how they have become sewer rats for lack of a better term, but then we also get to see a Lycan unlike any other. Before we know it the Lycans and Vamps are at it again, but why? What do they want? This is what Selene must find out, and then  she must plan her next move.
The CG is very well done, and the choreographed fight scenes are second to none. I will continue to watch each and every Underworld they decide to make as I am a fan. I did like the first Underworld and Evolution better than Awakening, but it still is a very fun film that to me was bloodier than any of these previous installments.

NBM rates Underworld Awakening - Awesome



3 comments:

  1. i clicked "wrong" but that is really too strong of a reaction. Probably needed a "don't necessarily agree". I think I may have enjoyed it a little more than you. The action was at least as good, maybe a little better in some regards. I do feel that some of the "kills" were a little "been there, done that" from the other two, but the story was good. You kind of feel bad at first for the way the Humans behave. Pretty good flick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Aaron, if that is your real name. I agree with what you have said, but you're telling me with absolute fervor that this one is at least As Good as Evolution and possibly not just even a miniscule less good? Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but in the realm of ranking it still comes in 3rd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaron is certainly an pseudoname. hard for me to answer. I have only seen this once. I have a hard time deciding between the first two as well. I really like to think of them all together as one story as opposed to separate movies, much like Kill Bill for me. Part of the luster is lost without Speedmans character playing a large role in the movie, but the action and new bad guys with a very decent twist are significant and appreciated.

    ReplyDelete