The Facebook

Friday, August 10, 2012

Total Recall

Every once in a while their is justifiable reasons to remake a film. Even if the original was great. This is one of those films that people want to hate because it may be under the file "sacrilege", but I am open to new interpretation and this is DEFINITELY  worth everyone's time if you enjoyed the first one. Another reason this one was ready for another film is that technology has finally caught up with the world that Philip K Dick created. The world Len Wiseman built is so astoundingly perfect. It was impossible back in 1990 to do it justice. The effects and CG and overall imagination of the Art Directors is so much fun to sit back and enjoy. All that said, THIS IS NOT A REMAKE!! It uses the same title, character names and general principal, but this film actually mirrors the novel very closely, as for the Arnie version, where screen writers took tons of liberties to change a lot of the scenery, ie Mars and whatnot. Colin Farrell chose to do what many would not. Take a role that Mr. Universe made famous. He did it justice, but this version was knocked out of the park through Wiseman's storytelling. The poster's tagline is "What is real? What is Rekall" and I caught myself wondering several times if it was all a dream. Up until the end I was wondering. That is a brilliant film. Staring at Jessica Biel and Kate Beckinsale beat the crap out of each one minute and look beautiful all the other minutes was just superb casting as well. I don't feel I have to get into plot points because I'm sure you all have seen the previous version. I do feel the hatred being thrown at this film is simply out of spite that someone would remake an already brilliant film. I'm glad they did. It entertained me immensely. I want to see it again, if for nothing else, to see three boobs on a single lady.  I also liked seeing what Quaid was reading while in transit. A book by Ian Fleming. A spy novel perhaps. I'm not sure what Fleming is famous for, but I think it was spy novels. This is not a spoiler as it has nothing to do with the plot and was not even mentioned or focused in on. I simply noticed it off center of the main focal point. Blew away my expectations, and if you can take it as a totally different film, and not linger being a sad sack over "what have they done" syndrome, then you too will enjoy it. It is a grade A sci-fi thriller to the MAX. The only regret I have about my experience is the fact that I paid $5.15 for a bottle of Water. Ya, I could get it out of a garden hose...for free...that's $5? And Hollywood wonders why no one is going to the movies.

NBM rates Total Recall - Phenomenal

No comments:

Post a Comment