The Facebook

Friday, June 1, 2012

Snow White and the Huntsman

I have been excited about this movie for some time now. The more and more footage they released, the more I was angsty for June 1st to arrive as I am very limited as to how often I can actually get to the movies these days. Well today was the day, and though it was not "The Greatest Film of the Year" it was rather enjoyable for me. I do understand why it has not fared well on RT leaving it at an even split between likers and haters. It is an origin story that must deliver enough history to not feel choppy or empty, all the while it cannot be overly long. Let's face it, we are not prepared to see Lord of the Rings run time when it comes to Snow White. At 2 hours 7 minutes, it does a great job of getting that first 18 years out of the way of the story at hand. Most of the opening is narrated by The Huntsman (Hemsworth), to fill us all in with as few visuals and screen time as possible so we can have a clear picture of everyone's motives leading into the hunt. The trailers are so fast for this film, all of us should be well aware of what it is about. We are merely going to be wowed by visuals and to see how it all pans out. The Evil Queen (Theron) has the ability to stay young forever by sucking the youth out of young people. When she is informed that one particular girl will pass her in the fairest department ultimately leading to her demise, she will not let this happen. Especially with the alternative she is given. Kill Snow White and become immortal. Not a tough decision. This is when the movie begins to get good. Then we have about an hour and of running and chasing. The dark forest is the best part of the film and I wish they could've stayed there longer to experience the horror within. It had several shout outs to other films in my opinion. The first is Neverending Story (ATREYU!!!!), then it begins to feel like the fire swamp from The Princess Bride, and lastly Batman Begins. That one may throw you, but that refers to the hallucinogen effect some of the plants emit. The Troll (pictured above) was the coolest, but the story must progress. Onward and upward. I am going to talk about why the film was great as opposed to discussing any plot points. I pretty much gave the whole plot to you already. All movies today are special effects heavy, and in my opinion if done poorly, it can ruin a movie. The effects in SWATHuntsman are some of the best I have ever seen, if not the absolute best. It relies a lot on fantasy and creatures that do not exist and to make them as real as they were is a feat. I could not believe the flawlessness of it all, and that takes us to the Dwarfs. You know from the Disney classic "Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs." The funny thing here is none of the actor portraying them are actually little people. I guess Willow is out of a job. He was the go to guy when small stature was necessary, but CG put him out of a job. Anyway, of the 7 I recognized 5, and I was pleasantly surprised. Nick Frost (Ed from Shaun of the Dead), Ian McShane (Deadwood), Tobey Jones (I don't know why I know him), Bob Hoskins (Roger Rabbit), and Ray Winstone (Indy Jones/Crystal Skull) all did a superb job. They had 2 roles. Little warriors and comic relief, although the comedy was few and far between, they were a rather enjoyable bunch. There is not a lot I can say about this film that is negative. It told a story. It twisted what we grew up with and added lots of flair. I do feel I built it up in my head to much, there is no way it could live up, but it sure came close. The battles were awesome, and the fights were brilliant, and Charlize was sexy scary. Great role for her. I am not a Kristen Stewart fan, but I made it through 2 hours without throwing up in my lap, so I guess she was bearable, and of course Thor was his usual self...only drunker. If you had desire to see this before today, then you will enjoy it. If you are on the fence, then I believe it is a crap shoot for you. If you have no desire to see it, then don't. It doesn't deliver any mind blowing features everyone must witness now in case the world ends tomorrow.


NBM rates Snow White and the Huntsman - Awesonomenal
Phenomenal for acting and CG
Awesome for story. We do know 100% of the plot before the opening credits even roll. 

No comments:

Post a Comment