The Facebook

Friday, November 23, 2012

Red Dawn

Any time I hear of a movie getting the remake treatment, I get nervous. This was no different. Actually it was a little different, I was a little infuriated. You don't remake movies that were beyond great. You remake movies that had good ideas, but ended up being crappy. Red Dawn (1984) is one of the best movies of all time, and was not in need of a resurrection. I wrote this one off 3 seconds after reading about it, but then the trailer came out. I felt a little different. The longer and longer I had to wait, the more I wanted to see it. I was curious of how similar it would be to it's Father film, and to see what 30 years of technological advancements to do to the overall stature of the film. Today's technology allows us to see every aspect of every thing going on, so how could anyone invade us (The USA) without us knowing. Very intriguing. When North Korea invades Spokane, Washington it is beyond confusing for the citizens. The ones lucky enough to escape are just a few kids, and all the citizens are put into prisons of sorts. Some people are still allowed to move freely through town, always waiting at check points and being frisked by the intruders. The escapees are led by Jed (Thor). A marine home on holiday. He has the training and knowledge of war, but when he must lead a group of high school kids who know nothing of survival, it gets a bit tricky. There are several references or homages if you will to the original, but they also were able to create their own new story. At 97 minutes, I feel it was perfect. Quick and concise. Not convoluted at all. Within a half hour the Wolverines were giving the North Koreans constant Hell. The plans of attack were good, action was great, and Hemsworth delivered a great speech. The Wolverines were running low on steam when a couple of other Marines showed up, and were able to kickstart to freedom fight. The movie was solid from beginning to end, and those of you (Missy) may have changed at least one aspect of the film, I feel it was done exactly the way it had to be. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and so will you. It was no where near as great as the original, but nothing could be. It does however stand on its own as a good, fun,  action film.

NBM rates Red Dawn - Awesome

No comments:

Post a Comment