The Facebook

Friday, December 23, 2011

Mission Impossible : Ghost Protocol

I want to preface this by saying that when I saw the trailer 6 months ago, I knew I would see it in the theater no matter the ratings it received. Fortunately for the good of the nation, It has been swooned over by critics and audiences alike. I am no different. I had to see what it was going to be, especially due to the fact that a buddy of mine stated it was the greatest action movie ever. EVER!?!? What I knew I would appreciate about this latest installment in a very solid franchise was the fact that it would be more like the first. I say that because it is not a damsel in distress film like #2 and #3 were. This is about the IMF and how Ethan Hunt (Cruise) must save himself and his crew when a horrible event is pinned on them. An act of terrorism in a foreign country. That is the scariest situation possible. By far, this is the most clever and the best written film of all 4. At times this felt like a James Bond Film or an episode of 24 with Jack Bauer. Aside from those similarities, the biggest thing it had on it's side was the story. An in depth, very detailed film with lots of players and scenarios. It flowed extremely well and I was excited to continue to watch where it would take us. It took us to the top of the tallest tower in the world right there in Dubai. That entire scene which was way more than just what we've seen in the trailers and was definitely the highlight of the film. I also appreciate Tom Cruise doing all his own stunts, and there is a very funny story behind that scene in particular. **(Let me derail for a minute. Apparently the original stunt coordinator was fired because he wanted Cruise to wear a parachute while shooting the scene. He was not at ease about Tom being on harness only. Tom didn't want to wear a chute, so he found another stunt coordinator who would basically tell the insurance company that Tom would be perfectly safe. Kind of funny, but also shows that Cruise has bigger balls than I do, as I don't think I would have gone outside of that building relying on a couple of wire harnesses only.)**  

After the Kremlin is blown up (not a spoiler, just watch the trailer), the IMF is disavowed by the President and branded as terrorists. They must clear their names, all the while continuing on with their original mission. They are dealing with a scientist that wants to send the nukes and not just to one specific country or another. He wants to nuke the Earth. Ya, he's nuts. I don't think he even realizes he lives on Earth. Dumbass. So Ethan and crew must find this guy and his equipment before he launches a worldly holocaust. They must do it without any resources from the IMF as it has been disbanded. Another reason this film was so good was the addition of power player Jeremy Renner. He is fantastic in everything he is in. I was hoping he would have plenty of screen time unlike his cameo in Thor. I was not let down. Once we see him for the first time 20 minutes in, he is there in every scene and he is brilliant. A great sub plot unfolds with his character that adds to his character. Simon Pegg is back for his second MI film and he had as much screen time as Cruise himself. He was the comic relief and if Pegg knows one thing, it's comedy. I was happy with how the laughs were earned in this film. Almost like they weren't suppose to be funny. The chemistry between the remaining 4 IMF members is uncanny. I really felt like these people had been trusting each other for years, except Renner as he was a nubie to the cloak and dagger games Ethan has become accustom to. Rumor of a fifth is on the web this week and if they can write as quality a story as Ghost Protocol, then I am all for it. The one thing all the Mission films have given us is very cool tech. This one did not disappoint. It had some of the coolest gadgets that I wish existed. The fact that the writers basically invent things that are beyond un-probable really shows how clever they can be. The sad news was no Ving Rhames. Wah Wah, sorry. Well, almost No Ving Rhames. 
I am really close to rating this A Work of Art for it's Original Plot, Superb Acting (Tom Cruise's best performance of his career!!), Visuals, Action Scenes, Fantastic CG when necessary, and the utter body abuse Ethan Hunt takes for his team and the World. Ah Hell, I just convinced myself....
NBM rates Mission Impossible : Ghost Protocol - A Cinematic Work of Art

No comments:

Post a Comment