The Facebook

Friday, December 30, 2011

Warrior

This is the one thing I didn't want to do. I did not want to watch another film that was released in 2011, because if I did, I knew I would have to amend my list (See where Warrior ranks) that took so long for me to perfect. Sure it is only one new entry which would only shift everything up one spot, but in fact I also watch another film last night after Warrior, so now it will be total chaos for me. Maybe it was my naive perception of Hollywood and their need to bring us "Based on a True Story" films that made me think this was based on something real. Maybe it was the Director that made me think that also. Gavin O'Connor directed this film and his other claim to fame is the Highly touted, not seen by as many people as it should have been, "Miracle". Warrior is one of those rare movies that gives lots of concepts, and some how makes them all work together in perfect harmony. It really is a Rocky-esque story multiplied by 2. Warrior gives us 2 underdog fighters in the fights of their lives. Motivated by completely different situations and fueled by different mentalities, "Irish" Brendan Conlon (Joel Edgerton) and Tommy Reardon (Tom Hardy) are men on a mission. Tommy shows back up in town at his Pop's house out of the blue some 14 years after he defected with his Mother. I only know it is 14 years because I read it on Rotten Tomatoes. Pop (Nolte) plays the 1000 day sober, ex drunk who drove his entire family away to perfection. Of course, they say, "write what you know". I think that mentality applies to his acting for Warrior. Brendan is a former UFC fighter who now teaches High School Physics. He and his wife have 3 daughters and they are struggling to pay the bills. When he is not teaching, he moonlights in no hold barred parking lot cage matches. He is the most well trained of any of the muscle heads that show up, so he does win, but he does take a beating as well. Tommy is bitter. To say he has a chip on his shoulder would be like saying an ice cube from the freezer sunk the Titanic. He is very intense and uses that to dismantle other fighters. He hates his Pop, but needs a trainer. I haven't mentioned it yet, but Tommy and Brendan are brothers. (Not a Spoiler- Watch the trailer). They are very estranged and there is a lot of animosity between them. When Tommy went with their Mother, Brendan stayed with Pop. Bad blood a brewing for 14 years. When a winner take all MMA tourney arises for the top 16 middle weights in the world arises, these two want in. Tommy needs to relieve some of his own grief from his time in the Marines, and Brendan needs to save his house from foreclosure. A 5 million dollar purse would solve everything, but only one person will win it. Neither one of these Cage newbs have a shot in hell, but that is why you play the game. Anything can happen. I mean, though unlikely, NBM writer Dean-O may be able to shave his "Bears Beard" this week. I doubt it, but you just never know what will happen. Like all Hollywood fiction, we know where this is going. Two unknowns, who are brothers, who hate each other, end up facing off in the title match. Brendan is very grounded, but Tommy seems unstable. He is a psychopath and after watching Hardy's performance, I am looking more forward to watching him unleash the true psycho Bane, in The Dark Knight Rises. The fight scenes are intense and brutal. Very well done. Brendan has some reservations against fighting his brother, but Tommy would be fine if he killed Brendan. What these two are fighting for are both noble, and no matter who wins, I would have been happy. I really enjoyed watching this play out, because I had no idea where it was going to lead. At 2 hours and 20 minutes long, it actually flows so well, it feels like 90 minutes tops. If this film had been based on real people Nolte would be a shoe-in for Supporting Actor Oscar in a Drama. He is superb. The way I rate this may surprise some of you, but allow me to explain. When dealing with a Biopic, the characters and stories are emblazoned in the text of history. The actors know who they are portraying and they need to be as similar, identical even, to those figures. Warrior was drafted on paper out of thin air as far as I know. The story came from a writer, and the characters were created by the actors cast to play them. It was all done to perfection. An engaging story about Family, good and bad, and the ties that bind. Great action that was not overdone. The fighting was not the center of the film, the characters were. With all that said...
NBM rates Warrior - A Cinematic Work of Art

No comments:

Post a Comment