The Facebook

Saturday, July 21, 2012

The Dark Knight Rises

I've been saying it for months that this would be the movie to see this Summer and I was right. There is absolutely nothing not to like with Christopher Nolan's third and final Batman film. It could not have been better in my opinion and that all goes back to story. Without a good story, action can only carry a film so long. Rises gave us months of teasers and posters and hoopla about what was going to happen, but to be honest, we never actual have a clue of what Bane's end game is. We know he wants to tear down Gotham, but why? That is how well the movie was made. We already determined we were going to see because it is to be the end of an era, and The Dark Knight was so brilliant we wanted to see Nolan outdo himself, and he does. At 2 hours 45 minutes it was actually perfect. You may get some saying it was long while others want even more, but with absolutely no loose ends, one of the smartest plots of any film, let alone a Batman film, and total closure, I could not ask for more. There is only one thing I would have changes, but will not add spoilers in my review as I try never to. I did know it was special, but when it was over I was almost relieved. Not that it was over, but that it was as good as I had hoped, which historically speaking, third films in a franchise never live up. I did a lot of reading while avoiding spoilers, but I remember reading about some Batman Begins callbacks. I watched the night before and though I would not have been lost, it really refreshed my memory and I recommend that be the route you take before watching Rises. The mystery surrounding Bane is really the heart of this film, and Tom Hardy with his intimidating eyes, his glares, and his attitude is a complete scene stealer...MOVIE STEALER. Once it was all over I thought back to 3 hours prior and realized I had no idea what this film was going to be about. It begins with one of the coolest scenes ever. Full on action right out of the opening gates and I was in awe. It does take place 8 years after Harvey Dent dies, and The Batman hasn't been seen since. Neither has Bruce Wayne for that fact. He has become a shut in, a recluse if you will. He has no desire to get back in the suit, but Bane makes it pretty hard not to, and from here the plot get smart. It's a bit of a financial thriller to be honest, and we don't know why. It's very clear what is transpiring, but like I said, why? The slew of characters is brilliant. Gary Oldman back as Commissioner Gordon is brilliant as usual, but the new comers are even better than I could have imagined. I love Joseph Gordon Levitt, and he is a mere beat cop. The only difference is, he asks questions and he is intuitive. Honestly I didn't see him getting much screen time, but he is an intricate part of the entire film. Morgan Freeman returns as Lucius Fox, but Michael Cane as Alfred once again shows why he is one of the best actors of all time. His emotion on the big screen will make you emotional. Now we come to Selina Kyle, aka Catwoman. Dare I say it? I think I like the Anne Hathaway version better than Michelle Pfeiffer...GASP. I do, but I think it is more of a writing thing. I like where Nolan took her better than where Burton took her. She is beautiful, elegant, but can kick your ass in a hurry. She was a great addition. We could not ask for any better action than we got, and I also am glad I made this my first IMAX movie. It was Epic and I want to watch it again. I don't feel I need to tell you any more than I have, because you are already set whether you want to see it or not. It is one of those big screen movies that should be scene in that scale. I liked it better than The Avengers and I loved that movie, but I also like it better than The Dark Knight because Rises is very smart. Christopher Nolan claimed "Rises" will encompass "Finality" but I will let you decide. 


NBM rates The Dark Knight Rises - A Cinematic Work of Art

No comments:

Post a Comment